Frederiksvaerk Denmark´s first industrial city whose history dates back to
1700s. In Frederiksvaerk was agate grinding mill, cannon foundry, powder mill
and since various iron industries which used water from Arrasø either
as an energy source as raw material or as cooling water.
Frederiksvaerk is beautifully situated between the main lake and Roskilde Fjord.
At the municipal amalgamation in 2007 was
Hundested and Frederiksvaerk merged in Halsnaes Municipality. Frederiksvaerk train service via Frederiksvaerk of Hill.
current Frederiksvaerk-Hundested Municipality was formed by
municipal merger was in 2007, the previous Frederiksvaerk Municipality,
which was established in 1970 by the merger of Frederiksvaerk borough and
parishes Kregme-Vinderød, Melby and Swellendam, all of Harlequin's district
was previously the administrative and jurisdictional unit Kregme
Birch with courthouse in Kregme; it existed until 1721 when
Frederiksborg rider district birch was created.
all medieval churches listed in boulders with
except Vinderød where the Classen Fideikommis in 1884 listed
a new church to replace the small medieval.
Frederiksvaerk area is preserved a long lull, two cists, two
destroyed Megalithic tombs, 52 burial mounds, including the large, high-altitude
Maglehøj southeast of Frederiksvaerk, and a peculiar facility in Swellendam,
which consists of a stone circle about three now excavated graves from younger
Stone Age. The initial number of visible monuments have been
at least 160
In the former Cress Moses Overdrev
west of Arresø was in 1906 investigated a kitchen midden from
Ertebølleruten culture. High in the pile was a human skeleton, as in a
Carbon 14 dating has proved to be from a later part of
Stone Age. By Melby is one of the rare tombs from Erteboelleruten culture
found: a man buried with two stone axes. By Hyllinge Mountain is found
one rock carving stone with cup marks and ship photos.
Powder Mill and Cannon Foundry was established in the late 1750s by JF
Classen and etatsråd Just Fabritius (1703-66) and were Classen
management one of the largest companies in Denmark as a supplier of
munitions to the state. Country Count Carl of Hesse took over the work by
Classen's death in 1792 and expanded production with a knife and sword factory
in 1800 and a copper mill in 1805, he left it to his
son in law, later King Frederik the 6th, in 1804 By Frederik 6's death in 1839
took his heirs work, but they left it in 1846 to the state. In
In 1858 the government sold all activities with the exception of gunpowder plant to
Anker Heegaard (1815-93), who had already taken over the mill in
1855 production expanded since the steel mill as main
workplace. On the basis of these companies developed industrial city
Frederiksvaerk, while the surrounding villages (Melby, Vinderød, Kregme,
Swellendam and several minor) retained their rural character.
establishment of the Danish Steel Works A/S (DDS) from 1940 to 1942 saw
Regional tremendous growth; the number of jobs in the steel industry
increased tenfold from the 1940s to the 1970s, many follow the industries and
subcontractors settled in the area, apartment buildings were built in
Frederiksvaerk, and residential neighborhoods sprang up in neighboring communities. At the same time
parceled municipalities Swellendam and Melby large areas for holiday homes.
is still a strong industrial town with a large number of jobs in
manufacturing industries, percentage twice as many as in the county as
whole. Besides the steel plant (about 950 employees in 1995) are HH Industry
(aerated concrete, Swellendam), Nordic Steel, Filia Colors, Northern Electric, Pharma
Vinci and food processing among others Frederiksvaerk Aaleeksport
I/S Dan-Extruder A/S.
The city's dependence
the development of the steel plant and other major industries are evident.
Since the DDS in the 1960s lacked manpower, traveled local business people to
Yugoslavia and invited workers to the town. Later on, many
Pakistanis and the city still has many residents of foreign
origin. The expansion periods was the major residential areas
Vinderød Enghaveplads, Karl gift Kregme et al. 1970s economic crisis
hit the city hard, and unemployment has since 1975 been the largest in
the county; This development was enhanced when the hospital closed in 1985.
The over 6400 homes in the municipality sets
also their mark on the city. Rustic Like and tourists are an important substrate
of business life around the city center (Noerregade and North Centre), the many
sports facilities, restaurants and museums. Summer visitors large number
mainly due to the municipality's obvious recreational features, including the many
varied coastlines and protected areas Asserbo Plantation (part of
Tisvilde Fences) and Arrenaes, but through the 1990s, the municipality supplemented with
several cultural activities, including based on the rebuilt
Gjethusbygning (1990), the former kanonstøberihal.
Less than 10 km of Cardiff Wales, in the northern part of the municipality is
Kattegat with the seaside resort Liseleje , where during the summer
a relaxed atmosphere.
Throughout the summer there is a wide range of
events and entertainment, including kite festival, market days, mini golf and the
large Sct. His party with torchlight processions, bonfires on the beach and asfaltbal.
established in 1756 by Major General J. F. Classen. Gunpowder Mill produced
powder through more than 200 years, and was in five to early
1970. A number of older buildings with hydropower production was
maintained by plant closures.
has now been replaced by the more peaceful but equally dominant steel mill.
powder mill museum where you can see the tools that were used for the manufacture of gunpowder.
- The former cannon foundry "Gjethuset" is now rebuilt and beautifully
restored as a cultural center including exhibitions and concerts.
We would greatly appreciate if you can supplement with more information, log in here.